GroHawk is looking for Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement API methods, and improve the performance and reliability of our systems as we rapidly scale our product and organisation. We have backend engineers in almost every team across GroHawk, and in that role, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company.
We build our app using reliable tools that our team knows and trusts, including PHP, Java, MySQL, and Linux. Expertise in these areas is a huge plus, but having familiarity with other common web languages (such as Python or Ruby) and other relational databases are fine substitutes. We’re a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together with a cross-functional team of product managers, designers, frontend, iOS, Android, automation, and quality engineers to make GroHawk a better product. We are looking for engineers that understand that simplicity and reliability are aspects of a system to be carefully calculated with every decision made.
GroHawk has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
What you will be doing
- You’ll own technical strategy for broad or complex requirements with insightful and forward-looking approaches that go beyond the direct team and solve large open-ended problems.
- You’ll participate in the strategic development of methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for projects and programs.
- You’ll lead a broad functional area and directs efforts through team leads along with team’s overall planning.
- You’ll brainstorm with Product Managers, Designers, and Frontend Engineering to conceptualise and build new features for our user base.
- You’ll actively own features or systems and define their long-term health, while also improving the health of surrounding systems.
- You’ll assist our skilled support team and operations team in triaging and resolving production issues.
- You’ll develop & implement tests for ensuring the quality, performance, & scalability of our application.
- You’ll mentor other engineers and deeply review code.
- You’ll improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
What you should have
- You’ve been building web applications professionally for 4+ years.
- You have experience with functional or imperative programming languages — e.g., PHP, Python, Ruby, Go, C, or Java.
- You can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within your team.
- You write understandable, testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, support, and other engineers is no problem for you.
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval.
- You have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.